search this blog

10.07.2013

sweater vase

This was originally published as a guest post for Cocktails With Mom.

Photobucket

Fall is all around (even though it has been 80 degrees in PA all week). One of my favorite fall decorations is this cozy sweater vase. I have a number of generic, glass vases sitting around my house so I decided to spruce one up for Fall.

... here's how I did it ...

I started by disassembling a sweater I picked up from The Salvation Army. I had originally gotten it to make these sweater pumpkins but had plenty left over for other projects. For this, I used a section of sleeve and slid it on over my vase.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

To cover the raw edge at the top, I simply made a linen "ribbon" by cutting a piece of fabric to the length I needed, sewed it together, turned it right side out and top stitched it to finish it off. After trimming off my loose threads, I tied it nicely around the top of my vase.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I used a glue dot to keep the "knot" secured to the glass, however the rest of the sweater just fits snug enough around the vase to stay put. I decorated my finished vase with our wedding flowers we had left over (we used all artificial and I love having them around the house). This inexpensive, simple spruce up was perfect for turning my "blah" vase into a fun, centerpiece. 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Such a creative way to add some extra cuteness to a vase :) Thanks for sharing, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! a great way to use that old sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so great! I wish I wasn't such a purger! Maybe a trip to the thrift store is in order!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...